7 Mages

Forum related to fantasy RPG 7 Mages.
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: "Hard" game is too easy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:29 am 

So I just finished the game yesterday night, I really enjoyed it, but I found the difficulty lacking and I believe several spells or skills are seriously imbalanced. I understand that for today's standards, games are created with wide variety of people in mind, however when you play on the highest difficulty and the enemies can't touch you and die in one round, then I think something is wrong :|

The main concerns:
- player's ability to kill everything before combat even starts.
- too much gold. In the end I still had 26k gold to spare.
- crazy bonuses from spells, most notable are the Fiery weapon and Armor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Easy on "hard"? Man, you are killing me! :-) But seriously, we may consider rebalancing magic in future updates.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:47 pm 

Yeah, well when four gryphons swarm my mage and I make him immune to all 15+ attacks just by casting Armor rank 3, it kinda makes the game really easy :D

The amounts of magic resistance on gear are also pretty high. When I entered Skeldal, my whole party had such gear that they all had over 50% magic resistances. Guess I'm too much of an RPG veteran :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:06 am 
Site Admin

You definitely are. For lots of people the game is hard even on normal.

It doesn't matter we will not touch the balancing. Maybe disconnecting "speed" from fight order can make a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:33 pm 

I think the problem lies more in that you have 7 characters but 90% of the time you're fighting no more than 1-2 enemies simultaneously. And given that most levels feature no more than 2 enemy types, even without the exploits it usually boils down to finding the right tactics once, and then you're set for the whole level. I get that it's probably due to memory limitations on the mobiles, but maybe if the sales are good you could make some Enhanced PC Edition with more varied encounters?

Concerning Speed, I don't think that the stat itself is overpowered, but the Acceleration song definitely is. It should give much smaller bonuses - even if Speed wouldn't affect fighting order, having 7 mages with 4-6 actions each going against 3-4 enemies with 2-4 actions each (and that's at best) is still way too much. I'm not a hardcore player, I'm generally pretty bad at RPG combat, but even I found that song an "automatic win" option.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:36 am 

Having an advantage in numbers doesn't really mean much, since there is no instant healing spell (and potions cost money), and most monsters always target your weakest member. Then it takes one mistake like running out of mana for the song and since most of the 7 mages have around 30 health by default, you're bound to have corpses even if the enemy has less actions than you.

Weaknesses must be uncovered the hard way. Finding a good way to get through encounters is a feature of dungeon crawlers after all :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:37 pm 

Problem is, there's just no need in having so many characters. In the second half of the game, I was basically using only 4: two bards (playing Acceleration) and two elemental mages. All the others just skipped their turns. It even went like that on the levels where there are more enemies (e.g. Skeldal) - I just cast Control on half of them and let them finish each other. I think the effect of that spell should be changed to just make the target peaceful, the way it is, it's just too overpowered.
I finished the game today, and I liked what they tried to do with the final dungeon in terms of resource attrition. However, given that you can return to the city at any moment, it didn't have the gameplay effect it should have had. The economy works more or less fine for the first half of the game, but by the Mountain level at the latest I started drowning in money. And given how later levels shower you with loot, it strips the Temple of all danger - it's just too easy to return to the city and restock. I think this could be solved two ways. One way is to not allow the characters to go back once they enter the Temple (of course, there should be a warning message before that). Another (and a more general soltion to economy problems) is to tie prices to difficulty level. Keep the current price level for easy, make it at least double (or maybe even 5 times more) for normal and 5 (or even 10) times more for hard. And probably the effect Charisma has on prices could also be lowered (or maybe make it affect only buying price, but not the selling one). Another alternative is to keep the current system and prices and just make the consumables (food and potions) much more expensive. Like by an order of magnitude more expensive.
Also, I think you shouldn't be able to remove the Shackles of Light freely - they should just come off themselves when they drain the char of energy completely.