7 Mages

Forum related to fantasy RPG 7 Mages.
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hey fans,

we have decided to open game texts to the community translations. There is not much text to translate (about 80k including spaces) so hopefully someone will try it.

Even if it is fan / unpaid translations we want them to be as good as possible. We also want to protect your effort you put into translations so we need to setup some rules.
(It is sort of experiment for us so please be patient. We may reevaluate following rules in the future.)

How it works
All languages translated by our internal translators or external professionals are available via Google Drive (Google Sheets).

The translation is open only to native speakers who can creatively work with their mother language. Please take it seriously! Even if you are super talented when it comes to languages then when XXX language is not your mother language, native speakers will recognise it (there are some extreme exceptions, of course, like when speak fluently in Klingon or when you wrote a bestseller novel in your second language). Also you probably know native speakers who doesn't work well with words :)

So... If you want to be a translator write me at following email dragon@napoleongames.cz, send me an email address associated with your Google account (I will grant you an access) and answer following questions:

1) What language are you interested in?

2) Is it your native language?

3) Why do you think you can do good translation?
(Mention your profession, TV shows/movies subtitles you have translated, fan translations of other games, anything...)

4) What do you want to be: translator OR commenter OR viewer?
(Any help is appreciated, even if you do not want to translate (or you do not have a time), you can help by looking for translation faults or give valuable suggestions.)

5) Do you want to work: alone OR in closed group OR open translation
(Alone - your sheet will be opened just to you and viewers and commenters
closed group - I will lock sheet with your translation just to you and translators you agree with
open translation - anyone can work on open translations)

When you choose "alone" or "close group" I may connect you via emails with other fans who are interested to translate your language. Then you can decide if you want to work together.

Number of languages in open translation is limited to ONE. There can be more then one translation of a language when you work in closed sheets, however, finally we need to choose just one (who am I kidding, there will not be such an interest to translate the game :-) )

When some translation will be done we will create nice little flag related to your nationality, then we will import language into the game (it is actually very easy we can import it into the gam directly from Google Docs). Your translation will be available in next update.

We may be in contact with you during this period as some errors that need to be fixed may arise. Our import tool can check missing texts or changes in source language (I will ask what language it is later).

Mini tutorial
When you get access to google sheets then you will find two sheets: "Original" and an "Example".

When your language is not already presented in existing translations then you start by duplicating "Original" and name it by language you are translating to (in english please).

Then you add a column for new language and name it according to ISO639-1
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes)

Choose your source language. It can be any language in Original. You can delete or keep other languages that are not your source language.

Never delete first row and column with text ids. Last row with "actor" serves as a note for you for dialogs translation.

When you done with preparation it should look like an "Example" sheet.

Once you are done, write me!

If you want to invite some other translators, write me too!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:58 pm 

HI, I love your games,
but I have great difficulty understanding the texts in the game because I do not understand much English,
can you translate this game in French ????
thank you very much for listening :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Hi, we would love to see the game in French, however, we are not able to do it by ourself at the moment. Maybe some fan can do fan translation...